Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Top Coat Tuesdays

The Yellow Rose of Texas mani

This post will be more about the words than the pictures. My intentions were to re-create my "Love Day" mani that you can see here with yellow roses. 
Well, it didn't turn out so wellSad so instead of posting my horrible nail polish photos, I am postiing beautiful photos from other ladies that did a wonderful job!



So anyway, tomorrow is the last day of Black History Month. And to commemorate this month I wanted to do something that was Black History related...

The song "The Yellow Rose of Texas" tells of an Black American soldier who left his sweetheart (yellow rose) and longs to be with her again. Yellow was, and still is a term, giving to those of mixed race. And "Rose" was a popular feminine nineteenth century name; frequently used in songs and poems as a symbolic glorification of young womanhood.  

The original transcription was poorly made and full of spelling errors. This would indicate [that] the transcriber was somewhat uneducated but possibly influential, as it was signed with three embellished initials. This copy is now housed in the archives at the University of Texas in Austin.

Although no name is given as the song's composer in any of the records, a hint may come from the fourth line in the chorus which infers the soldier is from Tennessee. Unfortunately, many men from Tennessee moved to (or were brought to) Texas during its colonization and war of independence.

*excerpts taken from amaranthpublishing.com

Lyrics are as follows...

There’s a yellow rose of Texas
That I am going to see
No other soldier knows her
No soldier, only me.
She cried so when I left her
It like to broke my heart
And if I ever find her
We never more will part.
She’s the sweetest rose of color
This soldier ever knew
Her eyes are bright as diamonds
They sparkle like the dew
You may talk about your dearest May
And sing of Rosa Lee
But the Yellow Rose of Texas
Beats the belles of Tennessee.

I really had high intentions, but my attempt at drawing a beautiful yellow rose was awful...major FAIL. But I loved reading about the history of this song. Happy Black History Month!!
Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment