Sunday, February 19, 2012

Home Cooked Sundays: Braised Chicken Thighs

This is probably one of the easiest meals ever...

A lot of the recipes for Braised Chicken Thighs are too complicated for my type of cooking. I'm a throw it in a pot and let it cook kinda girl. So I took the recipe I liked the most, deleted ingredients and  tweaked it down to my taste:

6 chicken thighs
4 tbsp canola oil
1 large onion, chopped in big pieces
1 green bell pepper, chopped in big pieces
6 garlic cloves, peeled & halved
1 can whole, peeled tomatoes
salt & pepper to taste
water, as needed



Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Remember this pot? It's my cast iron skillet that I salvaged a few weeks ago. See how I did it here. Season chicken on both sides and add to oil. Allow them to brown on each side for 3-5 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a tray and set aside.


In the same skillet, add onions, bell pepper and garlic and cook for 3-4 minutes to combine. Season the ingredients with salt & pepper to taste, then add the tomatoes. Allow the mixture to cook and all the flavors to come together, about 10 minutes. Add chicken and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Add water as needed, because sauce may thicken. Serve with your favorite side dish. The tomatoes were my side dish with this meal! But I did toast some garlic bread to soak up all that yummy pot liquor!! Total cook time was about an hour, but I was only in the kitchen for about 15 minutes because this dinner basically cooked itself, and that's my favorite kind of dinner!!
Thanks for reading!!

No comments:

Post a Comment