Sunday, April 29, 2012

Home Cooked Sundays

Mexican Cornbread Casserole

I got the original recipe from my husband's Aunt about 10 years ago, and it's been a hit in my family ever since! I've emailed the recipe, sent it in a text message, and even posted a pic of it on FaceBook (but haven't had FB for 2 years now, yay me!)
Anyway, the original recipe was not "Mexican", so to speak. It was more homestyle, using canned cream soups and so forth. Well, I have made that version so many times that I decided it needed a change.

After having the spicy mexican cornbread on the side with tortilla soup at a local restaurant, I decided to try converting it to a casserole. Here is what I used:
Ingredients
2 pkgs Cornbread Mix
2-3 pounds ground beef
1 pkg taco seasoning
1 can Mexican Salsa
1 can chopped green chiles
1 jar salsa verde
1 jalepeno seeded & chopped
1/2 cup pico de gallo
1 bag shredded cheese
2 bags frozen whole kernel corn
Instructions
Brown ground beef & drain. Mix in taco seasoning, both salsas & half of the chopped jalepenos into ground beef to your personal taste and set aside. 
In a separate bowl, mix cornbread mix according package instructions; fold whole kernel corn into cornbread mix. Stir in other half chopped jalepeno and 1/2 cup of pico de gallo.
Pour 1/2 batter into oblong baking dish. Layer shredded cheese on top of first half of batter. 
Pour ground beef mixture over cheese and batter. Add another layer of cheese on top of ground beef. 
Pour other half of batter over ground beef and cheese. Spread to make sure all of meat mixture is covered. Bake at 375 for 20 to 25 min or until cornbread is golden brown.
You can use as little or as much of each mixture as you like. Adjust to your own taste! Enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment